Monday 19 September 2011

Five Minutes with Becky Weatherley


Name: Becky Weatherley
Age: 20
Hometown: Dalgety Bay, Fife
Occupation: Model

Tell us a bit about yourself: Im fun, friendly, hard-working and passionate about things I care about or believe are right. I love dancing, gymnastics, art, music and motorbikes. I ride a motorbike and absolutely love it. Im 5ft4 and constantly told Im too small, but I dont believe that. Whos to say Im too small. 

What sparked your interest in modelling? EVERYTHING. Making/becoming a picture, the fashion, the people.  Having the opportunity to express feelings about issues surrounding modelling eg: height weight etc

Can you please give an account of your experience in the fashion industry and as a petite model? 
Ive been modelling for 5 years now, past 3 years taken very seriously. I hope to become a professional. I'm experienced in all styles, minus adult etc Im constantly rejected for being to short and it pushes my buttons. I dont take myself as an amazing model, but I am good and feel with direction and help I can become a professional, but no-one will give me the chance because some size 6 5ft 8 girl (apparantly) is the better choice. 

Did you face any challenges or setbacks? 
And if so could you please state what they were? Ive had a few bad experiences with both photographers and the public. Ive done a fair amount of art nude and glamour to get my foot in the door and of course I expected this but it wasnt any less un-nerving. Typical perv with a camera or a passing stranger. And less serious things such as being too small, not the right body shape, face shape, the lot. Didnt know there could be so much wrong with me, I look after myself, I keep myself fit and healthy, so whats the problem. 

How did you overcome these challenges/setbacks?
Picked myself up and kept going. 

Can you please give your opinion on the strict requirements that are present throughout the fashion industry (for example, height, weight and body shape)? 
Honestly, I think its bollocks. They can change it if they want and deep down they know its for the better. Only thing is they arent/wont/cant be succeptible to change. There shouldnt be requirements. Yeah ok, a 25 stone, spotty, bald lady might not be the best choice for a fashion line but there shouldnt be such a direct line of requirements. Im just under 9 stone, 5ft 5, slim built and healthy, why am I rejected so much?? I dont understand, there are beautiful people they are missing out on over a few silly rules. CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE

Why do you feel that it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle? 
Why shouldnt you want to stay healthy. Live your life, dont waste it away. Lifes too short to constantly question if your good enough for what you want to do with the rest of your life. The industry need to realise that, at somepoint things are going to have to change. Sooner rather than later. 

Is there anything else you would like to add?
Imperfection is beauty. Maryling Munroe is the most iconic beautiful woman in the history of the world, she was a size 16. We need a bit of perspective back in the world. 

Thank you Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment