Sunday 7 August 2011

Five minutes with Emily Jung

Name: Emily Jung
Age: 17
Hometown: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Occupation: Student and Summer intern at Studio Bert Forma in NYC
Tell us a bit about yourself: Standing only at 5'2, I have already accomplished many of my goals as a petite model. I have walked runways, been on billboards, buses, trains and websites. However, I am just getting started and people are about to see more of me. I strive to be the best and most renown petite model and I won't stop until I achieve my goal.
What sparked your interest in modelling? My first spark in modeling was from watching America's Next Top Model. I loved getting my makeup done and being styled in cute clothes! I love being pampered! Also I've always been some sort of a camera whore. I love taking pictures of myself and being in front of the camera. If you see a picture being taken, I'll run to be part of the picture!
Can you please give an account of your experience in the fashion industry and as a petite model? I started out modeling with my favorite mall; Willow Grove Mall, through a volunteer program called; Style Squad. I began walking on runways and then worked as a promotional model for stores such as Bebe and White House Black Market at the Willow Grove Mall. I then was chosen to be a model for PREIT's Back to School Shoot and after that I joined Modelmayhem.com where I worked with many photographers to build my portfolio to what it is today. Sometimes when I'm modeling for Willow Grove Mall, a stylist or photographer will ask to be a model for them.
Did you face any challenges or setbacks? And if so could you please state what they were? My biggest challenge is getting an agency that won't tell me to pay money upfront or that tells me to go into acting. I'm not an actress, I can't act but these agencies try to convince me into acting. I'm the worst actress in this world. I stink at lying! Being in front of a photographer and videographer is totally different!
How did you overcome these challenges/setbacks? I don't sign with anyone who wants money upfront or tells me to go into acting. I avoid them. I run from them.
Can you please give your opinion on the strict requirements that are present throughout the fashion industry (for example, height, weight and body shape)?
It's ridiculous. If you can take great photos and you're only 5'2, then be it! There are so many models who are 5'8 who take crappy photos compared to models who are 5'3. I've seen photos in magazines and thought to myself "if that girl's legs were shorter that picture would have come out so much better!" or "That girl looks too lanky for that outfit I could never see myself wearing it!" Clothes need to be shown so girls can relate to the models. 80% of American women are under 5'6 and not many are a size 0. How can women relate to models and find outfits if we can't see ourselves wearing the clothes because we are too short or too fat?
Why do you feel that it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle? Eat healthy; lots of veggies, fruit, lean protein and whole wheat carbs. Also try to walk whenever you get the chance. It's the best source of exercise!
Is there anything else you would like to add? I come off very strong but it's because I believe that I am a great petite model. Have you seen my pictures? I can show emotion in every single shot. I wasn't taught, it's the way I best express what I am feeling.

Would like to say a big thank you to Emily for taking the time to do the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment